How we discerned our values and our mission statement:
Through a process of one to one conversations, house meetings, and with a vote of the vestry and the approval of the 2015 annual meeting of the parish, Holy Communion discerned that we share three values as a congregation.
Welcome, Diversity, and Community
These values arose from listening to one another, hearing the themes that arose when we asked ourselves the questions: “What brought you to Holy Communion?” “What keeps you at Holy Communion?” and “What do you want your neighbors to know about Holy Communion?” Again and again we heard these three values articulated: Welcome, Diversity and Community.
We decided to write those values into our mission statement, and to set goals for our congregation based on the values.
Holy Communion Mission Statement
The Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion is a welcoming and diverse community seeking to walk in the way of Jesus and to reveal Christ’s reconciling love in our city, nation, and world.
See the powerpoint from the Presentation by the Rector and Vestry from September 2018.
Goals for 2018-2019
Each year our Vestry engages another listening campaign as we discern a set of goals in each of our values for the coming program year (September-June). The goals set by the vestry for 2018-2019 are below.
- Welcome more people through social media and other online avenues
- Enhance infrastructure for Newcomer’s welcome
- Create system for guiding newcomers from welcome to engagement
- Average 25 or more children and youth in regular participation
- Convene 4 Conversations with an active Dismantling Racism group
- Help the congregation become more “fluent” in conversation with the trans/gender expansive community
- Explore and bring to the congregation resources from worship in other cultural traditions
- Intentionally include Spanish in the liturgy
- Expand the diversity of the music offerings
Community (Inside our Walls)
- Strengthen Communication by implementing a 12-month “Communication Calendar”
- Deepen Adult Formation with 2 added Weekday and Contemplative Offerings
- Engage every member in the work of the Capital Campaign/Renovation
- Implement and evaluate the success of the re-opened nursery
Community (Outside our Walls)
- Establish a relationship with a non-Christian faith community
- Discern potential expansion of Laundry Love
- Measure Fossil Fuel Use Before Renovation
- Deepen connection to Cristosal/El Salvador
- Deepen Connection to Rockwell House Campus Ministry
- Develop “Faithful Action” Program
Discerning goals for 5+ years
In 2018 Holy Communion undertook another listening campaign, with one to one meetings, and gatherings at the church with various ministry clusters. The vestry is currently discussing goals for the next 5+ years. Part of this work lead us to initiate a building master plan and discernment toward a capital campaign. When we publish our 5+ year goals, we will post them on this site.