How we discerned our values and our mission statement:
Through a process of one to one conversations, house meetings, and with a vote of the vestry and the approval of the 2015 annual meeting of the parish, Holy Communion discerned that we share three values as a congregation.
Welcome, Diversity, and Community
These values arose from listening to one another, hearing the themes that arose when we asked ourselves the questions: “What brought you to Holy Communion?” “What keeps you at Holy Communion?” and “What do you want your neighbors to know about Holy Communion?” Again and again we heard these three values articulated: Welcome, Diversity and Community.
We decided to write those values into our mission statement, and to set goals for our congregation based on the values.
Holy Communion Mission Statement
The Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion is a welcoming and diverse community seeking to walk in the way of Jesus and to reveal Christ’s reconciling love in our city, nation, and world.
Goals for 2019-2020
Each year our Vestry engages another listening campaign as we discern a set of goals in each of our values for the coming program year (September-June). The goals set by the vestry for 2019-2020 are below.
- Welcome more people through social media and other online avenues
- Enhance infrastructure for Newcomer’s welcome
- Create system for guiding newcomers from welcome to engagement
- Develop a “Language of Love” to equip the congregation in ways of naming identity around gender, ability, race and orientation
- Expand the diversity of the music offerings
- Average 25 or more children and youth in regular participation
- Explore and bring to the congregation resources from worship in other cultural traditions
Community (Inside our Walls)
- Deeper and wider volunteer engagement
- Strengthen communication
- Increase children and youth participation to 25 on an average Sunday.
- Continue to develop the Godly Play program
Community (Outside our Walls)
- Build interfaith relationships to advocate for justice
- Discern potential expansion of laundry love
- Formalize and promote Holy Communion’s “Social Investment Policies”
- Deepen Connection to Cristosal
- Discern the future of Theology on Tap
Discerning goals for 5+ years
You can read about our goals for the 5 years from 2018-2023 in the PDF below: